Here are five pieces of advice for your blog (you do blog don’t you?).
1. Go deep. Here’s what we mean – unless you’re the kind of writer who is so fascinating that people will hang on your every word no matter what you say – and it’s probably a safe bet that you’re not – the best way for you to attract readers is to focus on a narrow subject. Pick a niche and stick to it. Become known as a top expert in a very narrow field.
2. Establish relationships with other bloggers in your field. Now, I will admit, we are terrible about doing this. We publish this blog but do little posting of comments to other blogs, which is what we should be doing. My only excuse is that we’re so dang busy we do good just to get this blog posted. But YOU should do better. Spend some time reading and commenting on others’ blogs and you will help drive traffic to your blog.
3. Use traffic-generating keywords in your blog. Set up an account at Nichebot.com, then use it to find keywords that generate a lot of traffic. You might also want to go to some of the social bookmarking sites like del.icio.us and look in the tag clouds to see what tags people are using for blogs in your industry. Using these keywords in your blog will increase your blog’s exposure and drive traffic to it.
4. Monetize your blog…subtly. Use in-text links to link to products or services for which you are an affiliate. You will probably have much more success with this style of link than a more obvious banner or AdSense-style link. Not only will you generate more clicks, but it will seem less like you are advertising than simply making recommendations. If your readers trust you, then they might just take your recommendations…and make you some money.
5. Blog a minimum of three times per week, and ping your blog out to various directories every time. If you don’t have time to effectively author and promote your blog, then you need to find someone who can do it for you.
Work Media offers a blog authoring and management service. If you need some help with your blog, feel free to give us a call at 888-299-4837 or email Info@WorkMedia.net.